1. I think I can't believe baseball is over for the year. Part of me is certainly relieved. But the bigger part of me will miss the rhythm of baseball days. We got into a good one, dealing with practices and games, laundry and quick & easy suppers. Being on a team is such a good thing for a kid. It's really good for my son. He didn't play as much as he wanted, but this was such a great group of boys and a terrific set of coaches. It was a pretty awesome season, all things being equal. So yeah, I like getting home two hours (or more) earlier each night, but I sure do miss what this experience did for my boy.
2. I think there are many more habits I'm trying to start and break. Here are a few: I would like to spend a day in the studio once a week. I would like to sweep the kitchen every night while Neel does the dishes. I would like to stop turning on the TV as soon as I get up in the morning (I like the news.). I would like to drink my coffee outside on the weekends. These are some of the little things. There are bigger ones, of course. Duh. But it's baby step time, people. Who is with me? Who wants to hold me accountable? Wink, wink.
3. I think it's been kind of a rough week, actually. There have been some definite highs. Dinner with some girlfriends I haven't seen in literally YEARS. Now that was nice. Sometimes your lives drift apart from each other and there's no real going back. You might "like" each other's posts on facebook here and there, but for the most part the connection is gone. With these guys, it felt just normal and right to be back in each other's company. I'm grateful. Another bright spot this week has been the internet, which I love. Where else can you have friends whose videos you cry over, friends who offer (out of the blue) to make things for you and friends who really get you... and can show how much through their talent with the pen. I really, really feel blessed and grateful. Our sweet Thea was back at the vet yesterday for a recheck and she faces a long road to recovery, I'm afraid. We're very worried about the dynamic among our dogs here at the house. My friend Jackie is facing a health crisis is one of her critters and every where I turn it seems that there's some fresh new sadness. And yet. It's important to remember that I'm blessed and grateful. Because I am.
4. I think that I have fallen truly, madly, deeply in love with my new lens. Truly. Madly. Deeply. I know, it's the photographer, not the gear, blah, blah, blah. But sometimes you get a piece of equipment that helps you see things in a new way, and I think this lens might be that for me. I played around in the studio some on Thursday, and while I still have a lot to learn, it felt like every photo was a revelation. I'm excited. It feels good.
5. I think we're low-keying it again for Mother's Day. We always have brunch, and I'm still trying to figure out what to do for the rest of the day. Not cook is one thing. Take pictures is another. I'd like a nice day and to have some fun, but I just haven't landed on what I want to do. Anybody have any fun plans? Any suggestions for me? What do you think I should do?