1. I think I couldn't have asked for a better Spring Break. Really. As I'm typing this post, Neel and Callum are finally, FINALLY spending the day on the slopes, and the pups (2 out of 3) and I are tucked in cozily in front of the fire. The snow is piled high outside and the wind is still whipping. I couldn't be happier, really.
2. I think it'll be Tuesday before I tell you the story of our adventure. Is that okay? It's been an adventure, for sure! Most of my pictures during the storm (and all of the ones above) came from my phone, but I was able to get Big Daddy out for a bit. I can't wait to show you how beautiful it is here.
3. I think, if you're looking to rent a condo at Wintergreen for 2-4 people, you can NOT go wrong with the one we stayed in. Gorgeous views, convenient, affordable, and not just pet friendly, but pet welcoming. It was perfect. To top it off, the owners were absolutely AMAZING. Gracious and welcoming before we even left on our trip, they went above and beyond once it was clear we were snowed in. I can't recommend them highly enough, and if you do decide to try it out, let them know we sent you. We'll definitely be coming back. My boy loves to ski.
4. I think it's so interesting how vacations, even mini ones, can coalesce your thinking for you. I miss mountains. As you may know, I grew up in the foothills of the Great Smoky Mountains National Park, and those rolling hills are part of my DNA. Driving up into the mountain on Tuesday afternoon felt like coming home. The view out the patio doors of this codo appeals to me more almost than any other, even the ocean, and that's a revelation. The Tidewater of Virginia has spectacular beauty, but it's pretty flat (wink). I'm also reminded of how much I love small-space living. I've said it again and again, much as I love our (little) gray house, and as perfect as it is for this time in our lives (raising our kid), I look forward to the day when we can open up the spaces and downsize. (Even Callum got it. Direct quote: "You know? I really like a small house like this. But I want to live in a mansion when I grow up.") One bedroom/One bath like the condo we stayed in? That's a bit small. But the truth is, we do the bulk of our living in such a small part of our current home. We don't need much more room than that in the long run. I have dreams, people.
5. So I think this little getaway was just what the doctor ordered for my family. We finally got in the skiing, and I got the snow I've been desperately craving. Add the adventure of a big storm to boot; who could ask for more? Our dogs did great, and it was so nice to cozy up with Miss Violet. We live at the beach, I think it only makes sense that we'd enjoy vacationing in the snow. Do you have a dream vacation spot? How about a dream weekend? Right now mine involves re-entry. Grabbing some groceries, getting Callum to baseball practice and gearing up to get back at it, only this time, we all feel better. Refreshed.