1. I think, all things being equal, we had another good week. Cal had a couple of sleepovers (one here and one there), and we went on several bike rides. Getting things crossed off the list. I got into the studio with my camera (and had trouble keeping the props out of my mouth), and I got the business cards ordered. Months and months later, but whew. I had coffee on Wednesday with some gorgeous women. It's so funny. Seeing these women were once part of my every day routine. And coffee or breakfast with them was a ritual that gave structure and meaning to my weeks. I haven't seen some of them for months, and some for years, but it was so lovely to reconnect. We talked about some somber stuff but some inconsequential stuff too. It was easy to slip into the old patterns of laughter and conversation, and easy is so good sometimes.
2. I think I'm thinking about moving over to Disqus for comments. I'd really, really like threaded comments, and so far Squarespace doesn't offer that feature. I've heard great stuff, and I've heard horror stories (like about every comment that was ever left on your blog getting lost forever). Anybody have any experience and care to weigh in?
3. I think that while it was nice to get into the studio, I'm feeling frustrated with my space. It needs a good clean out for sure, but the light isn't the greatest (that's hard to fix), and it's small. So small. The cleanout will help for sure, but I'm not sure what to do about the rest. I know I shouldn't complain. I'm lucky to have a space at all. But if I don't accept that it needs some work, I won't work on it, right?
4. I think I'm really looking forward to a small dinner party we're having tonight. Just another couple, parents of a new friend of Callum's. If you've been reading my blog for any length of time, you may remember that I love dinners with friends, and I've missed how our life doesn't seem to include them in a more formal way here. In California, we had dinner with friends on Mondays and Fridays every week. It's a different life here. But today we'll get ready, and tonight we'll gather around the table with some new friends. That's a nice thing to look forward to.
5. I think I'm so glad I pulled out Gretchen Rubin's The Happiness Project to finish reading. That, more than anything has helped set my intention for the summer. She has a blog, if you want to check it out, but several things from the book resonated with me. I'm trying to keep them in mind as I move through the summer. She has some great lists and good practical advice. For starters, she each night she has a ten-minute tidy up before she goes to bed. Too often I drag myself from the sofa up the stairs to my cozy nest without one single glance around. So I've been trying the ten-minute tidy up, and I've been quite enjoying the results. It's nice to come down to a clean house in the morning, and I feel better going to bed too, knowing that the house is more settled. Rubin also has a one-minute rule. If a task takes a minute or less, do it now. These simple rules have helped me a lot this week. So we'll see if I can keep them up.
She also has twelve resolutions, which you can find on her blog. I really like these too. I'd like to try to follow some of hers and add a few of my own.
Put down my phone.
Schedule/limit computer time.
Think about what makes me happy and do that.
Let it go.
Strive to be nicer.
My friends, have a delightful weekend. I'm hoping for lovely meals and cooler temperatures (if that's what you're wishing for!). What is everyone up to?